Municiplaity of Efpalio
Municiplaity of Efpalio
Efpalio , with a population of 800 inhabitants, is the capital of the new municipality, which was created by the unification of sixteen communities: E f p a l i o , Drosato, Filothei, Trikorfo, Kampos, Teixio, Palaioxario, Potidaneia, Klima, Monastiraki, Marathia, Pyrgos, Sergoula, Managouli, Malamates and Kastraki. It is built on the fringe of the remains of ancient Efpalio, the famous city of Ozolon Lokron. The visitors to the municipality during the summer season have the unique opportunity to enjoy its resorts and its magnificent, lacey beaches, (the sandy beaches of Chiliadou, the picturesque traditional Monastiraki with the best beach in the Korinthean Golf, beautiful Marathia, Sergoula with the mills, the beach from Fokiotrypa to Skaloma with small picturesque bays).
They can also enjoy, throughout the year, the numerous forms of mountainous tourism offered by the mountainous complexes built by the municipality in Varnakova and the mountain Trikorfo, with the beautiful reception halls and accommodation for practicing highlander tourists, found in the villages of Potidaneia, Palaioxari and Tichio.
In Marathia and Chiliadou there are fishing resorts used also for the anchoring of small yachts. The most important sites in the region are:
The monastery of Panagia of Varnakova, a Byzantine monastery of legends and traditions, built in 1077 A.D. from saint Arsenios from Karyes. Varnakova was the rampart of Orthodoxy and Hellenism (national conscience, language, traditions) in the years during which the Latins influenced West Greece and mainly during the Frankish rule of the broader are, and the "seawall" for the plans for converting Greek people into Catholics, who then belonged in terms of religion to the Pope of Rome. During the war of 1821 it was the center of supply for the fighters of Roumeli and their powerful fort. After the fall of Mesologi, the monastery of Varnakova became a holocaust (26-05-1826). Ζoday the sacred monastery of Panagia of Varnakova, renewed, is a place of spiritual peace, found in a vast " D e n t r i a " .
- The historic monastery of St John of Thermes with its properties and the big springs of the "Byzantine river" of Mantilo, where the first holocaust for freedom of the 1826 war took place.
- The old Christian church of Ascension of the Savior in New Koukoura.
- The beautiful catholic St JohnΥs Micro monastery of Efpalio made with Byzantine technique, of unique art all over the Balkan area. It is about an excellent and rear architectural monument of Byzantine art on the fringe of Efpalio on a nice buttress of big "Platanista", organized as a refreshment place and a place of religious events.
- The newly built Monasteries of Trikorfo : the monastery of St Augustinos and Serafeim of Sarof (well-known for its 400 bells and 62 church bells) and the fraternity of St Nectarios.
- K e f a l o g i o f y r o , in the narrow pass of Mornopotamos, an excellent and unique in the region piece of bridge building art, perfectly constructed and well preserved. Those who managed to escape at the time of the heroic Exodus from Mesologi (10 April 1826) passed the bridge and found Shelter Municipal Region to the nearby Monastery of Varnakova.
- The popular art museum of Efpalio with its big collection.